Egypt and Russia agreed to resume flights between the two countries in a call between Presidents Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and Vladimir Putin, Egypt’s presidency said in a statement on Friday.
Flights to popular resort destinations Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada were suspended after a Russian passenger plane crashed in Sinai in October 2015, killing 224 people. The Airbus A321, operated by Metrojet, had been taking Russian holidaymakers home from Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg.
Shortly after the crash, affiliates of Islamic State in Sinai claimed responsibility, with Russian investigators concluding the cause was most likely an onboard explosive device.
The decision to resume flights followed “the joint cooperation between the two sides on this issue, and based on the standards of security and convenience provided for visits at Egyptian tourist destination airports,” Friday’s statement said.
The announcement did not specify a timeline for the resumption of flights, but Russia’s Interfax news agency reported earlier this week that flights could restart in the second half of May. Egypt had been a major destination for Russian tourists, with tens of thousands visiting every year.